Website Design Essex
Interesting Facts and Numbers about Essex
- Amazingly the Essex coastline is over three hundred and fifty long; that’s as far as it is from Peterborough to Germany, and just a bit shorter than the distance Edinburgh to London. Having 35 islands off its coast it has more than any other English county and is number two county for the length of coastline
- Colchester in Essex is Britain’s oldest recorded town dating back to Roman times. Back in its hey day Colchester was so developed they had their own Colchester mint which is why many of the ancient coins were made in there
- At a whopping 1.34 miles long Southend pier is the longest pleasure pier in the world, not bad for a pier that was originally built in 1829
- The smallest and largest are in Essex. With only 200 people Manningtree is the smallest town in Britain. With a population of 9000 the village of Tiptree is the largest village in Britain.
- Dotted throughout Essex are approximately 14,000 listed buildings of which around 1000 are grade one or grade two
- Taking place every four years and dating back to 1104 the Flitch Trials are the oldest recorded competition in Britain