Website Design Kings Lynn
Information and Facts about Kings Lynn
- Originally called Bishop’s Lynn for its first few hundred years only changing to King’s Lynn began when Henry VIII wrested control of the town from the bishop in 1537.
- King’s Lynn, which stands on the River Ouse in west Norfolk, is a medieval port steeped in maritime history. Forty Four miles west of Norwich and thirty six miles east of Peterborough.
- In medieval times Kings Lynn was considered a very important port, only being exceeded by Southampton and London. Its trade brought great wealth to the area and many fine buildings were built. The town was protected by walls and gatehouses and the South Gate is still present today.
- The church of St Margaret stands in the heart of the town and has a very interesting tide clock. Its foundations date back to the 12th Century, although the present building is not as early. For over nine hundred years situated in the town centre is the Saturday market place.
- Nearly half of the town’s population perished in 1349 AD when the Black Death struck the town. Kings Lynn town also suffered great loss of life when floods and gales caused shipping disasters.
- The town’s Trinity Guildhall is the home of ‘Tales of the Old Gaol House’. Visitors can see the original cells of the town’s jail and listen to the corresponding audio information. During the summer months there are guided walks from the Gaol House for those who want to learn more about the town’s history.
- Adjacent is the Kings Lynn Town House Museum, which recreates the domestic life of the Lynn residents from medieval times. There are also displays of archaeology and history dating back to prehistoric times housed within the museum.
- The magnificent Custom House was built in 1683, this now houses the town’s Tourist Information Centre. along with special display of the town’s maritime history.
- Meeting venues or locations in Kings Lynn include Kings Lynn Town hall and Kings Lynn Innovation Centre at Innovation Drive, King’s Lynn PE30 5BY