Website Design St Ives
Facts, Figures and Information About St Ives
- St Ives is a market town and civil parish in Cambridgeshire, England. St Ives lies approximately 5 miles east of Huntingdon, 27miles south of Peterborough and 12 miles north-west of the city of Cambridge. St Ives is situated within Huntingdonshire which is a non-metropolitan district of Cambridgeshire as well as being a historic county of England.
- Listed in the Domesday Book St Ives was in the Hundred of Hurstingstone in Huntingdonshire; the name of the settlement was written as Slepe in the Domesday Book. Its name was changed to St Ives after the body, claimed to be that of a Persian bishop, of Saint Ivo was found buried in the town in about one thousand and one
- In 1086 there was just one manor at St Ives; the annual rent paid to the lord of the manor in 1066 had been £20 and the rent had fallen to £18. 25 in 1086.
- The Domesday Book does not exactly detail the population of St Ives but it records that there were 64 households. Using these figures then an estimate of the population of St Ives in 1086 is that it was within the range of 224 and 320 people. Note there is no consensus about the average size of a household at that time; though it estimates between three and a half to five people people per household.
- For the past 1,000 years St Ives has been home to some of the biggest markets in the country, and in the thirteenth century it was an important import and export location and remains an important market in East Anglia.
- between Huntingdon and Ely
- Built on the banks of the wide River Great Ouse, between Huntingdon and Ely, St Ives has a famous chapel on its bridge. In the Anglo-Saxon era, St Ives’s position on the river Great Ouse was strategic, as it controlled the last natural crossing point or ford on the river, fifty miles from the sea. The flint reef in the bed of the river at this point gave rise to a ford, which then provided the foundations for the celebrated bridge.
- During the 18th and 19th centuries, St Ives was a hub of trade and navigation, and the town had dozens of inns and many bawdy houses . Goods were brought into the town on barges, and livestock rested on the last fattening grounds before delivery to London’s Smithfield Market.
- The expansion of the railway network and improvements to roads meant, the use of the River Great Ouse declined. It is now mostly used for leisure boats and recreation.
- In 1947 the river Great Ouse at St Ives flooded, and some parts suffered seriously again at Easter 1998 and in January 2003. In 2006/2007 at a cost of nearly nine million pounds extensive flood protection works were carried out on both sides of the river. Building on the flood plain at St Ives is now discouraged.