Marketing Innovation Examples
We can learn from other industries and sectors and see how they approach serving their customers could be applied to our own. In this article we consider a range of innovative services
Crankshaft repair for industrial applications is a serious and complex issue which requires a specialist.
In this article, we discuss
- the complexity of the issue,
- the reoccurring errors made when seeking the service
- how we aim to make the repair more cost effective and of minimal disruption.
Crankshaft Repair – Prevent extra costs of unnecessary shaft removal and replacement
The shaft is damaged when engineering bearings falter. Despite it being easy to install shaft bearings, repairing the actual shaft is more challenging and where an expert is needed.
Shaft removal undoubtedly results in unnecessary disruption and outrageously high costs.
The complexity of the task and associated costs is a reason why finding the best engineering company for the repair is so important. You need to find a company who deliberately avoid the elongated time period and high expense by transporting the damaged shaft to a workshop and further costs before final replacement.
Crankshaft repair methods
You need a company with outstanding knowledge and expertise in the field, who has a reputation for being one of the UK’s most trusted companies for crankshaft repair. During crankshaft repair, the damaged shaft stays static while the tool rotates around it.
Depending on the nature of the crankshaft, there are 4 main methods of repair.
- Orbital machining with superfinishing (often used for marine crankshafts)
- Orbital machining with a shrink-on-sleeve and further orbital machining.
- Orbital machining and orbital welding, then final orbital machining.
- Orbital machining, metal spraying and further orbital machining.
Ideally located to aid you with cost-effective repair
Find an engineering company whose premises are conveniently located. This enables them to easily commute to you and therefore immediately respond to your unexpected requests. We also have the skills to do repair whilst machinery is at work, enabling you to benefit from our outstanding and efficient service at lower costs.
The process of initiating crankshaft repair
- The required engineering details fare submitted by you –
- a datum point,
- the parent metal specification for the shaft
- detailed engineering drawings
- Aa specialist team experienced in your situation with the equipment required to alleviate your damaged shaft are deployed, enabling you to continue with your day-to-day job whilst we take care of your situation.
Straw Stack Cover Sheet
If you have been harvesting your straw in fantastic dry conditions, and been able to bail it wit the minimum of moisture. Then the last thing you want is for your bails to get wet when stored. If you are not fortunate to have enough permanent barn storage then a Straw Stack Cover Sheet provides an ideal solution to keep your bails in a good condition and importantly provide protection against the elements.
The extreme weather conditions (extreme levels of rainfall in short time periods, gales and winds reaching record speeds) experienced throughout the United Kingdom have conspired to raise straw prices. With straw now being recognised as a valuable commodity its worth protecting whether the straw is for your own use or for sale. If straw is uncovered and becomes damp it becomes unappetising as feed (which means that you are likely to get waste) and less absorbent as bedding (which means that you will have to use more straw.
Straw Cover Sheet – Avoid Danger
Most importantly uncovered straw bales can become a source of mould . You can quickly and easily protect your straw stacks cost effectively using a straw stack sheet when barn storage is not an option. Purchasing a specially designed straw stack cover sheet will prevent the wind lifting the plastic sheet. Gravel bags or sand bags fixed with clips should be fixed every metre to anchor sheets and covers for a long term stable storage solution.
Straw Stack Cover Sheet Case Studies
Case Study 1: Covering the straw with a straw stack cover sheet prevented the outside fifteen to eighteen centimetres of the straw bales being ruined. The straw coming out from under the cover was excellent feed quality. With the current value of straw covering with a straw cover sheet has definitely proved financially beneficial.
Case Study 2: In the past it has taken many hours to cover the stacked hay with loose tarpaulin which was was heavy and awkward to deal with. Using a bespoke stack cover sheet is not only easier but provides a better covering.
Star Wars Christmas Jumper
One of the more recent Christmas traditions has become the wearing of colourful festive jumpers and the Star Wars Christmas Jumper is a classic example.
For many the wearing of a personalised jumper on Christmas day is a must, for others wearing a star wars Christmas jumper at the office Christmas party could be just what’s needed to get noticed.
Star Wars Christmas Jumper Better Than A Rudolph
A few years ago if you wanted a funny, quirky festive jumper the best you could hope for was perhaps a reindeer face, a santa suit style or perhaps a Christmas pudding. Whilst festive in appearance they were hardly the preferred choice for many. So in many cases festive jumpers are purchased never to be worn in public. They are unpacked and stored in a cupboard or set of drawers. A slightly better outcome for the Christmas woolen garment is that it gets worn once, for a brief period of time, lets be honest there are only so many occasions when you can wear a jumper that looks like a Christmas pudding or has a red nose as its central feature.
So a more recent trend towards a star wars Christmas pullover or other super hero character may breathe fresh life and mean that these garments are worn on more than just one occasion. Interestingly the star wars Christmas jumper comes in at least two styles, if you have a dark side then perhaps the Darth Vader option is appropriate. For those who are feeling protective then a stormtrooper option may be more suitable.
The potential advantage of these jumpers is that they carry an air of credibility allowing them to be worn on multiple occasions over the festive period.
For industrial applications there is an extensive range of low noise, electric vibrators available. These range from models which are totally enclosed and can be used internally or externally.
Many are suitable for use in extreme operating environments where they may be subjected to the ingress of dust or dirt, moisture or very low operating temperatures.
Electric Vibrators Are Versatile
These units solve a wide variety of industrial problems, these include
- Increasing the output flow of bulk materials through a range of sized bins, hoppers or chutes
- Packing materials into bags and drums
- Consolidating concrete, aiding the efficiency of material through screens
- Whatever the industrial packing, output, consolidation challenge, there will be an electric vibrator to help.
Electric Vibrators Operational Requirements
Well constructed electric vibrators manufactured by a specialist manufacturer should be long lasting and provide many years of service even under even the toughest conditions. It is possible to specify electric vibrators specifically designed for corrosive environments.
When specifying an electric vibrator to suit your specific needs
- The speeds and forces that are required (it could that an adjustable unit is required if these will be variable). Speeds can be varied from nine hundred to three thousand six hundred vibrations per minute.
- What capability of unit is required , light, medium or heavy duty. The manufacturer will be able to advise on the most appropriate unit. Heavy duty models will typically be suitable for almost continuous usage. These will feature heavier duty bearings and windings and often have the capability to grease , oil and maintain
- For dangerous working environments (mines / petro chemical ) explosion proof models are available
- Spreader Hopper Vibrators are perfect for trucking and mobile applications.
Sheet Metal Fabricators Need Marketing Skills
In 1975 a sheet metal company was set by a great engineer and a businessman and in its first year had a turnover of £7,000.Today they have sales of £9 million, employ 110 people in a 65,000sq ft aerospace accredited facility. Throughout this time they would describe there core competencies as being a general sheet metal supplier, with capabilities in
- cnc forming,
- finishing and assembly.
- Making aerospace cabinets, diagnostic cases and gen set cases for example.
The interesting for me was the comment made that “We were in among the pack and nothing special”. This typifies the issue that most sheet metal fabricators need marketing skills. Read how this company developed below
The “urgent”need for Business Development Skills
In 2005 the company realised it was naive and had to go through a management buy out. This was a whole new world for those running the company, and they realised the only way the business would move forward is if key members of staff had “personal development”
“It’s about being different”
- Managing people
- Operational issues
- What services offered
- management Information Systems
- Financial Analysis
- Strategies for Growth
- Funding issues
- and in their opinion Marketing and Customers is the most important
Making It In The UK
The company is passionate about having manufacture in the UK and even more so about making it in their local area. They realised they needed to adapt in order to survive and flourish. Key organisational characteristics
- Become agile and responsive
- can make a decision and make it quick
- Ability to change
- can make changes quick
- Investment in the latest technology
- Speed to market
- Being truly competitive
- overcoming the issue in what is the “true” cost in buying from China
- Become agile and responsive
How Did They Achieve Being Different
- Open days
- Total Project Management
- Diversification – getting into CNC machining
- Lean Approach
- Running design workshops
About Design Workshops For Customers
- Inform them in the options available (at the early stages its not a fate a comply)
- If you can provide them with knowledge they can make better decisions
- Identify where the cost is in a situation
- See where cost has been added through
- incorrect material selection
- tight tolerances being applied (because the designer is lazy)
- Tooling choices
- Inappropriate joining methods
What does the future hold
- Re starting the Engineering Apprentice Programme
- Continue to challenge perceptions
- Continued development of the Alpha cell where they get all the best engineers together to solve problems / develop approaches
- 3 D printing
- Customer graduate work experience – whereby customers send their graduates to the company for a couple of weeks to experience the nuts and bolts of what a supplier does
- A greater focus on Marketing
Sheet Metal Fabricators Need Marketing Skills
In summary: Sheet Metal Fabricators Need Marketing Skills, for more information on Manufacturing business development approaches click here
Large Led Display Board For Eye Catching Communication
Visual communication of messages has come along way over the ages. The humble flag has been around for years and is still used today as a method of communication.
Technology has moved on significantly and a large led display board can now communicate so much more. In this article we will consider applications of a large led display board.
It must be noted though that in wet, salty extreme weather environments a flag is still has its place.
Large Led Display Board Applications
We have identified four main applications for using a large led display board, there are probably many more.
Health and Safety displays
A large led display board for use on health and safety displays can provide a clear and importantly dynamic way of showcasing safety messages. The beauty being they don’t have to be text based you could use simple icons as well. Common messages to be displayed on a manufacturing site could be the number of incident free days, or if any special health and safety protocols should be followed
On large multi entrance sites using a large led display board on each entrance means that you can customise the access information dynamically. If you were a university on graduation day you could welcome visitors and direct them to the relevant parking. Driving past a large air base recently I noticed that all traffic was required to use a single entrance and this was communicated on the other entrances avoiding delays and additional communication.
A large led display board is a great device for delivering high impact messaging whether it is on a single line or multiple line display. The large LED boards could either be fixed directly to scaffolding to allow it a prominent position. Or for more permanent applications enclosed in a purpose built enclosure that incorporates the organisations branding.
The high impact and eye catching of an LED sign means that they are great for conveying safety and transportation messages. We have probably all seen the LED signs within a bus station / bus stop
Legionella Testing Kit
Within the United Kingdom there are approximately three hundred to four hundred cases of Legionnaire’s disease per year.
Of these legionella cases ten to fifteen percent are fatal.
Shockingly what is worrying is that these deaths are caused by a totally avoidable disease.
Regular use of a Legionella Testing Kit would ensure that these did not occur. Find out more about Legionella testing kits within this article.
Legionella Testing Kit Requirement
Unfortunately there are repeated incidents of Legionella in drinking water which ultimately leads to cases of Legionnaire’s disease. Even within a developed country like the UK the there are over three hundred cases a year, of which over ten percent are fatal. It is important to note that these deaths are caused by legionella a disease which if regular testing is completed by a legionella testing kit is totally avoidable.
The danger of legionella often goes unnoticed, but ignoring the relevant health regulations can have devastating and ultimately fatal consequences.
Legionella Testing Kit Function
Hot and cold water systems host Legionella which spread through the water systems and, if inhaled, they can cause Legionnaire’s disease which is a particularly serious lung infection.
If you are a landlord, employer, or the person in control of commercial premises, you are ultimately responsible for health and safety. You therefore need to take the correct precautions to avoid legionella and a simple legionella testing kit might be all that is required. The first step is understanding the health risks associated with legionella, but you must also make certain to monitor your systems effectively.
How can you ensure that you are testing for legionella both regularly and effectively? Water temperature must be properly regulated and monitored to minimise the risk of legionella, . There a number of legionella testing kits and legionella testing services available for legionella testing and to help make sure water temperature is correctly monitored and the Legionella bacteria is unable to survive and multiply
Shop Fixtures and Fittings Help Marketing
With many goods and commodities being very similar shop fixtures and fittings are an important mechanism to help make your goods look better or to encourage browsing.
The in store refit by many of the smaller post offices incorporating the counter services has had a significant impact on increasing the number of transactions and the average spend value.
In this article we will consider shop fitting and fixture issues.
Shop Fixtures and Fittings Advantages and Disadvantages
I recently went into a Gucci store, the display of £1400 bags were displayed against a plain wall on simple plinths and had a huge amount of space between each item. The whole display smacked of quality and exclusivity and encouraged one to look at the detail of the product.
On the same day I went into the market at convent garden where the traders were selling their handcrafted produce from intricate glass sculptures through to hand crafted metal sculptures. Every stall had a mixture of fixtures and fittings to try and showcase the products. From a simple cloth on a table through to a concoction of shelving. The net result, that whilst many of the products had as much quality and care as a Gucci made these products appear as lower priced craft items.
Adding value Through Shop Fixtures and Fittings
- What if the intricate coloured glass sculptures had been displayed in a well lit cabinet, where the sculptures rotated round and caught the light.
- Where you had to request or engage with a member of staff to access the items.
- Where the lighting on the items created a real “wow” visual experience and dragged your senses away from the other stores or food vendors. Could this have increased the perceived value of the sculptures – so a £300 sculpture becomes a £450 exclusive and treasured sculpture
- The awareness of the products available – whereby the display genuinely does become a draw to the passing footfall
Steep Hillside Mowers Remote Control Improves Safety
Working on steeply inclined, challenging, rough terrain and grass with a traditional man-on-board powered mower can often put the driver at risk.
Steep Hillside Mowers Utilising new technology often provides the opportunity to provide safer working environments.
The use of wireless remote controlled Steep Hillside Mowers provides a high capacity cutting capability whilst keeping the operator at a safe distance.
Steep Hillside Mowers
With remote control can be used on steep slopes as well as flatter terrains. Many have the ability to work on terrains angled up to a very steep 55 degrees. The remote control operation of Steep Mowers makes them ideal for use in the following applications:
- Hilly and mountainous areas where a traditional manned vehicle would be likely to tipping over
- Banks and ditches – especially where these are near water
- Escarpments and highways allowing them to be used confidently in high traffic areas
- Near railway lines – where manned vehicles would be prohibited
- Military land, Industrial and energy plants where safety and security critical
- Public parklands and Forested areas.
- Airports especially in areas where aero planes are operating
- Drainage systems and reservoirs where a single operator could be in a dangerous situation if working remotely
- Municipal areas and Sports facilities particularly those with steep banks
- Durable and robust.
What should you look out for in hillside mowers
- If you are going to be transporting the vehicle a four point attachment system for lifting
- For protection of the steep hillside mower a robust roll bar, integrated into the chassis,
- For use in the dark flashing LEDs and powerful headlights ensure high visibility during operation.
- For particularly difficult or steep conditions, a range of tracks should be available for steep hillside mowers to provide added stability and grip.