Marketing Niche Products
If you are a manufacturer or supplier of niche products with a limited target market what marketing approaches will be most effective. In this article we look at a variety of niche UK manufactured products and explore the marketing approaches.
A Wireless Temperature Monitoring System is designed to allow a wireless lance that contains a temperature sensor, transmit temperature readings to a wireless receiver.
These devices provide a great solution for the temperature monitoring of grain or crops in silos.
For larger silos multiple lances are linked to a a central connector
Wireless Temperature Monitoring System Advantages
There are a number of advantages of wireless temperature monitoring systems
- A wireless temperature monitoring system provides a real time temperature monitoring, recording or logging.
- Information can be relayed to operators / managers through a variety of mechanisms
- The opportunity for temperature changes are significant through environmental and material changes. It is often necessary to prevent temperature extremes (highs and lows) in areas that are difficult to access or of a remote nature
- There are numerous wireless temperature monitoring system available which all have different characteristics
- Accuracy – of temperature measurement
- Control – the speed of feedback and ability to provide feedback
- Range – how far they can transmit
- Ease of use
- How easy is the device to read. Does it have a large clear display that can be read in both bright and more importantly dark conditions
- Can a temperature increase / decrease be easily initiated
- Is it possible to stop or prevent accidental changes i.e. by requiring a confirmation code or action before a change is effected
- Ease of installation
- Reporting attributes
- Cost – as in many cases the more that you pay for a unit the higher the quality and better operating performance.
- Note: it is important to consider the value of your commodity that you are storing. If you have a high value crop would you really want to rely on a low quality / low cost wireless temperature system
Slug pellet spreader technology has developed over the few years to meet the needs of the agricultural sector.
With treatment costs increasing and the overall demand to be as efficient (economically and environmentally) and also as effective as possible in completing slug removal in a single pass process.
Therefore the slug pellet dispenser device needs to be designed to direct and dispense the pellets as accurately as possible.
Slug Pellet Spreader Attributes
- It is important to choose a unit that is suitable for mounting directly onto an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV), tractor, grass harrow or cultivation equipment.
- A slug pellet distribution device should include a plastic hopper that is
- Light, as you will be most likely be frequently moving and manually handling
- easy to clean so that you can use the hopper for other substances if required
- Is durable and resistant to accidental knocks as it is more than likely that it will get bumped and scraped in operation
- Incorporating an easily visible observation area so that the operator can see the level of pellets within the slug pellet spreader. Often a transparent window is used to provide this function.
- Crucially a sealed lid should be incorporated to protect the slug pellets from dust and moisture.
- The spreader should have a robust steel frame that includes universal mounting plates for easy fitting to the desired vehicle.
Slug Pellet Spreading Standard equipment should include:
- Metering slide, vanes and disc made from stainless steel
- A high quality reliable, 12 volt electric motor for the disc drive
- The ability to quickly and easily adjust the application rate
- Ability to increase or decrease the disc speed to in order to control spread width
- Adjustable spread vanes for control of the spread balance
- For progressive feed to metering outlet an adjustable agitator
- 2.1 Control box for control of disc speed and instant start/stop of spreading.
- Electric Supply 12v / 25a
Sugar Beet Harvester Marketing Advantages
Specialist Sugar Beet Harvester equipment is essential to allow the reliable and effective removal of sugar beet.
Top quality sugar beet harvesting systems must provide high performing and reliable equipment.
Fundamentally you must be able to count on these products for their rugged dependability and efficient operation.
If your sugar beet harvester has these attributes then it could offer a genuine marketing advantage
What makes a great Sugar Beet Harvester
- Simple and effective design providing exceptional visibility inside the machine, allowing the grab rolls, lifter wheels and beyond to be seen
- Delivery of clean sugar beets is essential, therefore the storage and processing efficiency of the harvested sugar beet provides the focal point for all processors.
- To achieve this a number of key features are required
- An adjustable belted chain in the rear scrub of the harvester that can be adjusted to scrub the beets. For additional cleaning the scrub should flex to continually shed surplus mud. With sandy soils and in dry climates fewer wearable parts are preferable and a rear wheel lifts the sugar beets
- Easy access to working components is crucial so therefore protective covers should be easily removable and preferably held in place when opened by gas springs. Having easy access to your controls allows you to set the harvesting operations to the prevailing climatic and soil conditions
- Grab rolls that can be easily adjusted to be more or less aggressive, depending on field conditions should be fitted to remove remaining residual dirt or debris from the sugar beet before they are elevated into the tank.
- Operating within a dirty and abrasive environment a sugar beet harvester should not feature any complex valves or electronic controls (unless they can be suitably encapsulated and encased)
- A large 4.5 ton capacity storage tank that can be controlled from within the tractor cab and then unload the contents in a controlled manner within approximately 30 seconds
Walk Behind Vacuum Sweeper Benefits and Disadvantages
Walk Behind Vacuum Sweeper technology has improved significantly over the years.
Modern units are suitable for collecting paper, grass , leaves, twigs, dust and general debris.
Not all walk behind vacuum sweeper units are equal and in selecting a unit it is important to consider the advantages and disadvantages of various models.
Additionally the introduction of electric (offering a clean and quiet operation) has complicated selection
Walk Behind Vacuum Sweeper Key Features
- A front side brush is a crucial component that should come as standard. These brushes allow you to run parallel with a wall or kerb and ensure that all the debris within the edge is pushed out and into the path of the vacuum. Without this there is the chance that you wont sweep right up to the edge, which means that any debris in this position could soon find its way into the floor.
- It is important that the side brush can be switched off or disabled as this serves no purpose when you are not near to an edge
- The ability to fit an additional hose (sometimes referred to as a “Wander Hose” ) can be incredibly useful. Whilst it may not be used all the while when you have occasion to clean those difficult to reach areas, the wander hose allows easy access
- A good quality well designed Walk Behind Vacuum Sweeper will be suitable use on a variety of surfaces including
- Tarmac – i.e. road / pathways
- Concrete “unfinished” such as in agricultural buildings
- Concrete – painted or sealed as in industrial or storage areas
- Grass – yes some Walk Vacuum Sweeper technology allows you to vacuum the grass
Steel Framed Agricultural Buildings
If you are looking for a solid and robust agricultural place to store your animals / equipment then steel framed agricultural buildings could provide the solution.
These buildings whilst not having the prowess or style of a Greek temple will certainly be more functional and have a significantly shorter construction period.
Steel Framed Agricultural Buildings
If you are looking for a quick, simple, cost effective and robust way to gain additional space then framed agricultural buildings could provide the solution.
Framed agricultural buildings can be used for a variety of applications from commercial storage, to workshops through to commercial sites that need larger undercover areas for any purpose from production activities to housing livestock.
Framed Agricultural Buildings and Other Steel Building Applications
There are a wide away of steel framed buildings suited to your needs:
- General workshops
- Equestrian Steel Buildings
- Commercial and Industrial Steel Buildings
- Education & Sports steel buildings
- Marine and Aerospace steel buildings
- Steel Frame Agricultural Buildings
Why choose agricultural buildings that are steel framed?
Speed: The complete process from design, manufacture and erection of Steel framed buildings is incredibly fast. Compared to brick or concrete structures they are typically ready to use in a fraction of the time that these other structures can be built. This makes them a great choice if you have a more urgent need for a robust structure that will be secure and covered.
Flexibility: Steel framed buildings can be designed with a high roof in the centre which makes them ideal for storing large vehicles such as combines or conveyors. If access is important they can be designed to incorporate wide roller shutter doors which can incorporate automatic opening if required.
Size: Larger Steel framed buildings are typically bespoke constructions so can be designed and manufactured to your exact space and operational needs ensuring you get the best possible steel framed building for your needs.
Low maintenance and Long life: Commercial steel framed buildings are often fully galvanised and some have an extra plastic coating to give a long working life
Ayr8 Riding Hat – At What Stage Are Your Buyers
The issue of traffic and search on the internet is a constant discussion point with clients and colleagues. If you have a product or service to provide is anybody searching for it on the web. If they are searching for it at what point in the buying process are they ? How do you ensure that your site is found and provides the correct amount of information allowing the purchaser to proceed to the next stage of the transaction. To showcase this I have used the example of Ayr8 Riding Hat
Ayr8 Riding Hat – The importance of the keyword
So lets imagine that you are new to horse riding and from a safety perspective you are looking to purchase a riding hat. What search term would you use in Google
- Lets imagine you use the term “Riding hat“
This would make perfect sense from the basis of a first search term attempt. Of course because the term is so broad there are lots of results in this case about 2,570,000 results. So if you get found at this early stage of search there is a high chance that you have no idea of what you are really searching. The options are almost limitless
- Information on types of riding hats
- Where to buy a riding hat
- What riding hat for a specific activity
- Recommended riding hats
So whilst it is great to get found early, unless your content matches the need of the searcher it could be you will lose them as soon as they land on your site!
Now fast forward in the process and lets imagine that my research has identified the Ayr8 Riding hat is the one for me.
Ayr8 Riding Hat getting found at the right time
So now I have completed my research and identified what I need the next stage is to be able to identify where I can procure the Ayr8 Riding Hat. The need to get found for this specific search term increases. Now I have a term that exactly matches my search criteria I will use this to see what’s available.
Liquid Fertiliser Nozzles And Marketing
If only there were Liquid Fertiliser Nozzles that allowed us to accurately spray nutrients on our marketing activities.
These nutrients would be extremely clever like there agricultural equivalent and help the successful marketing elements to grow and perform better offering increased yields.
Whilst these liquid fertiliser nozzles would be being clever enough not to spray nutrients on the “weedy” inefficient marketing activities.
Liquid Fertiliser Nozzles For Your Sales & Marketing
You may be wondering about my marketing analogy and liquid fertiliser nozzles but please bear with me. The agricultural sector has become incredibly scientific and has many years recognised that there isn’t a one size fits all approach that can be applied when looking for optimum yields. There are too many variables to contend with
- Soil quality
- Moisture content
- Exposure to the wind
- Seed quality
- Conditions when sowing
- Bugs, insects and infestations
In order to cope with all these variables “experts” are required who are skilled in maximising yields on the crops to be grown. These experts can make tests, analyse, consult with their colleagues and then make suggestions on the crops and importantly the stimulus that they should be given, based upon the conditions upon which the crop is growing. So perhaps some parts of the field need more fertiliser than other areas.
Now lets consider how the majority of companies try and grow their business through marketing. Unfortunately in many cases as opposed to the farmer who gets a specialist in to evaluate how and what they should do. Companies tend to think that they can grow the business through their own marketing. Now this has the effect of meaning that quite often they end using there marketing spend ineffectively and the farming analogy would be
- They look at doing the wrong things
- They choose the right approach but don’t fertilise it correctly
- They choose the wrong message and media ( a bit like planting the wrong crop in the wrong field)
Self Propelled Boom Sprayer
There are a number of self propelled boom sprayer with a variety of formats and specifications.
Some have stainless steel tanks are available in capacities of up to 8,000 litres, whilst others have booms of up to 48 metres (manufactured in aluminium ) which are Europe’s largest four-wheeled agricultural sprayers with self propelled boom sprayer.
With boom sprayers varying so much – which is the best Self Propelled Sprayer manufactured in the UK
Self Propelled Boom Sprayer Features
On the larger capacity Propelled Boom Sprayers the tank is centrally mounted which puts it between both axles which helps to achieve equal weight distribution on all of the four wheels. Additionally it achieves a lower centre of gravity whether the Self Propelled Sprayer is full or empty. Whilst some of the sprayers offer an incredible tank capacity and boom width many have a very light overall footprint, which reduces compaction whilst maintaining excellent stability and traction. When you have such a large boom width auto boom levelling should be considered a must have feature.
On many sprayers this is achieved through a variable geometry boom combined with ultrasonic sensing that ensures the spray nozzle is always at the optimum height above the crop regardless of the terrain. The use of these features helps to ensure minimal spray drift which offers numerous benefits (reduced wastage and better definition of where the spray needs to go). With sprays costing so much correct application is crucial and GPS spray controllers with rate control, facility and auto section shut off should be fitted.
Self Propelled Sprayer Tank Guidelines
Tanks are available from 3000 litres to 8000 litres and should be made from 304L grade stainless steel. Most manufacturers will be able to advise on the optimum tank capacity for your usage. Note where larger tank capacities are purchased it is critical to ensure the tank is suitably baffled. Where possible the tank should be mounted between axles to provide a lower centre of gravity. A clean water tank for water priming the centrifugal pump should be incorporated.
Tractor Mounted Log Splitters
These Tractor Mounted Log Splitters machines are great for use in confined spaces and provide great heavy duty log splitting capabilities.
They can be either floor mounted or with their swing log tables provide the perfect above ground height for splitting of smaller logs.
Many tractor log splitters are of a heavy duty build quality which means they are easy use to give years and if you choose wisely and maintain correctly will be effective and offer efficient service.
Tractor Mounted Log Splitters For Sale Typical Features
- Units are available in a variety of splitting forces from 12, through to 22 tons. Typically the larger the force the larger the unit
- Splitting length is another variable, typically lengths range from 1.0 metre but 1.5 metre may be possible on larger tractor mounted units
- If your tractor is old or has a low oil flow / pressure system then connecting to your tractor hydraulic is not recommended if you are looking for reliable and fast operation
- Make sure that the splitter has a robust “spine” frame to ensure the unit doesn’t twist and wear over time
- The unit should have simple splitting controls with return of splitting piston being automatic
- Operator setting of return height and splitting length for maximum speed of cycle time
- From a health and safety perspective the splitter should comply with the latest CE safety requirements. Ideally where two hands are required to control the operating system will ensure hands are away from areas of danger. On better units all hydraulic pipes are sleeved with anti burst protection in the event of catastrophic pipe rupture. All units should feature a simple to use log restraint to help hold log in place whilst splitting again keeping hands away from areas of danger.
Sweep Augers are designed for flat bottomed silos primarily in commercial grain, seed and farm where there is a requirement is for intensive use during the harvest season and then minimal usage during the rest of the year.
Sweep Augers are also be used in lighter industrial applications. They work once approximately ninety percent of the silo has been emptied by the gravity discharge. Sweep augers rotate through three hundred and sixty degrees around the base of the silo from the central motor unit, at this point reclaiming any remaining easy flowing material.
This removes the need for the unpleasant and often dangerous task of manually moving the remaining residual material from the silo.
Sweep Augers Encapsulation
Within sweep augers all moving parts other than the screw within the sweep augers are fully encased, which protects the auger from the weight of the materials within the silo when it is full. The auger is supported by the main drive unit mechanism which fixes to the outlet in the middle of the silo and the beam mechanism along the length to the drive wheel. For larger silos a series of beam support wedges are often used to support the auger.
Many augers incorporate fully enclosed, simple clutch mechanisms that control the torque to the drive wheel. This allows the drive wheel to rotate in a controlled manner, moving the material steadily reducing slippage and creating lower wear on the drive unit. This can help improve the working life of the machine and reduce maintenance requirements. The two most common silo sizes 36 feet and 48 feet and are adjustable to accommodate other silo sizes
Non Inversion Tillage
Non Inversion Tillage breaks up hard pans and increases the available soil depth by vertically slicing thinly through the pan whilst lifting and then lowering the soil.
This lifting and lowering potentially causes shattering to the soil on each side of the slot resulting in lots of cracks.
These cracks allow moisture into the soil, roots and gases to penetrate, which opens up deeper layers and eliminates / reduces the hard pans.
Potential benefits of non inversion tillage
Tillage through Non inversion when completed correctly, i.e. at the right time and under the right conditions for that soil can deliver many benefits including
- Improved growth of plants in particular for deep rooted plants and other tap-rooted
- Increased aeration of the soil
- When it rains or when irrigation is utilised gain better infiltration
- Improved deeper rooting and root penetration leading to
- Improved resistance to drought
- Where soil moisture is a limiting factor gain longer growing seasons
- If you are growing across a slope or across the prevailing wind direction the slots can trap soil, organic matter and nutrients
Non inversion is most commonly completed
As part of process when opening up new ground
- Making planting easier
- Easier root penetration
- Greater water infiltration
- A herbicidal effect on the outer riplines keeps competition down.
There will be severe problems the closer a hard pan is to the surface and the harder the pan is. The more severe the problems, the more likely that NIT will give benefits, particularly in relation to the immediate year’s yields. NIT will typically only be useful if the soil has a hard pan or is hard below the current root depth. It is critical that the tillage passes through this layer. If the hard pan is too deep for the implement, any potential benefits may be lost.
Layflat Irrigation Hose
Produce prices from potatoes to carrots are dependent on uniformity and quality of the crop. Layflat irrigation hose that is used to get water to irrigation systems can help ensure that water is available for crops during dry spells.
As with all products there are a variety of hoses that feature
- different bore diameters
- varying types of hose material
- differing pressure capabilities
Layflat Irrigation Hose
There are primarily three types of field irrigation systems.
Filed sprinkler systems which are designed to water very large areas using low output sprinkler nozzles which are connected through layflat irrigation hose to a water supply . Whether that be from water extracted from a river, ditch or dyke by a pump) or from water bowsers. The sprinklers can either be laid flat when the field needs to be accessed by tractor or mounted on mobile booms . To save on costs a field may have a number of layflat irrigation hose points and the sprinkler sets moved for each set of pipework.
The control methods for field and crop irrigation systems can be either manual or powered controllers located out within the field.
In other applications lines of drip tape or pipe are laid on the surface of the field or for more intensive applications ploughed into the soil. One of the benefits of drip systems is that only minimal water is lost through evaporation (less of an issue with the UK climate) and their low flow rates allow quite large areas to be watered from an available water supply.
Often the available water is brought along a header pipe that will run the entire length of the field. From this other pipes then distribute this water supply into crop irrigation zones. As you would expect the number of areas is dependent upon the field size and of course the available water supply.
Layflat Irrigation Hose and Drip
There are two types of drip method
- With Drip tapes each tape is thrown away (or better still recycled) once a crop has finished.
- Drip pipes tend to have sophisticated drip nozzles which can be pressure-compensated, s and can be re-used. They are ideal for crops that need frequent watering, such as strawberries as they hold the unused water in the pipe for the next cycle
Bunded Fuel Bowser
A Bunded Fuel Bowser should be tough, fitted with high-quality running gear to provide reliable service, be easy-to-use and maintain and importantly be secure .
Importantly it should meet all UK legislation requirements ADR , U.N certification and Environmental pollution prevention.
Units should be ADR compliant with full U.N. certification and approved for transporting diesel on the road and feature baffling within the inner tank to ensure improved stability when on the move (further helped by using high speed axles and 5 stud braked hubs)
What you should look for in a Bunded Fuel Bowser
- Ideally they will be 110% bunded in accordance with Environmental Agency Pollution Prevention Guidelines (PPG2)
- Manufacturing construction should be all steel for high security and strength in order to withstand heavy use, being suitable for use with petrol or diesel
- Bunded Fuel Bowsers are typically available in 500, 1000 and 2000 litre formats
- The fully bunded tank is constructed from steel throughout and is seated on a tough galvanised tubular steel chassis. Highway specific features include handbrake and hydraulically damped overrun braked hitch, with mudguards, lights and high speed specification axles and tyres.
- The inlets / outlets to the inner tank should be housed in a secure and lockable enclosure at the rear of the tank.
- For maximum durability bunded fuel bowsers should feature
- Fully galvanised tubular steel chassis (thus being maintenance free)
- From a filling and fuelling perspective the following features are considered important
- Fully sealed magnetic drive tank contents gauge
- A flow rate of up to 95 litres/min
- Incorporating a fuel filter importantly with a replaceable filter element
- Automatic breather and pressure relief valve
- Many units come with 3 to 5 year extended warranties which should provide additional peace of mind when procuring
FB Drop Key – Product Confusion
FB Drop Key provide a great example of how a simple product, can be created into a highly complex purchasing challenge.
How one device can have so many names seems quite incredible, and then how many misinterpretations of the product you can see how bamboozling purchasing a fire brigade drop key can be.
FB Drop Key – variations
A fire brigade drop key is a crucial tool that is used to open security and communal doors where fire brigade access is required either in an emergency or during normal operations. Most Fire Brigade FB Drop key variations can be used to provide access to multi story blocks of apartments or flats where a drop key box has been installed to provide an over ride facility in the case of an emergency or when access is required into the block.
As well as being used by the fire brigade this key is also widely used by council workers, maintenance contractors, locksmiths, other emergency services and postal workers, where once they have used this key to gain access, they can then perform their duties in the block. Importantly this key doesn’t allow access to any of the individual apartments or flats in the block.
Some of the FB Drop Key variations include
- Premium quality versions that are high quality and strength and typically machined from brass, making them highly durable, very strong and corrosion resistant
- Those made from Grade 304 Stainless Steel which are a very Robust and strong version of this product
- Cheap low quality alloy versions that may be of very dubious quality and unlikely to work if additional force is required
- Versions that feature a lift access key attachment.