In today’s digital age, businesses face fierce competition to attract customers online. To thrive in this environment, it is crucial to harness the power of emerging technologies and marketing strategies. This article on three digital marketing snippets highlights the importance of three essential elements: Google My Business, voice search, and click guardians. These tools hold the key to maximising your online visibility, engaging with customers, and safeguarding your brand’s reputation.
- Google My Business: A Digital Storefront
Google My Business (GMB) is a free tool provided by Google that allows businesses to create and manage their online presence. By claiming and optimizing your GMB profile, you gain the ability to display essential information like address, phone number, website link, hours of operation, and customer reviews. Here’s why it matters:
a. Local Visibility: GMB helps businesses appear prominently in local search results, increasing visibility and driving foot traffic.
b. Credibility and Trust: Customers often rely on GMB profiles to learn more about a business before engaging. A complete and updated profile enhances credibility and builds trust.
c. Customer Interaction: GMB enables customers to leave reviews, ask questions, and interact with your brand directly. Engaging with customers promptly strengthens relationships and fosters loyalty.
Voice Search: The Future of Search Queries
With the rise of voice assistants like Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant, voice search has become increasingly popular. Voice-activated searches are often more conversational and longer than traditional text searches. Incorporating voice search optimisation into your digital strategy is critical:
a. Natural Language Queries: Voice search queries tend to mimic natural conversations. Optimising your content with long-tail keywords and colloquial language helps you rank higher for voice searches.
b. Local Voice Searches: A significant portion of voice searches has a local intent. Optimising for location-specific keywords and leveraging GMB can boost your chances of appearing in voice search results.
c. Featured Snippets: Voice assistants often provide brief answers from featured snippets. By structuring your content to answer commonly asked questions, you increase your chances of being featured and gaining visibility.
Click Guardians: Safeguarding Your Online Reputation
In the digital realm, maintaining a positive online reputation is vital for business success. Click guardians, such as review management tools and reputation monitoring software, help protect your brand:
a. Review Management: Online reviews heavily influence consumers’ purchase decisions. By actively monitoring and responding to reviews, you can address concerns, demonstrate excellent customer service, and enhance your brand’s image.
b. Reputation Monitoring: Click guardians enable you to monitor online mentions of your brand, ensuring timely responses to potential crises or negative sentiment. This proactive approach helps mitigate reputational damage.
c. Competitive Edge: Utilising click guardians to collect valuable feedback and gain insights into customer preferences can give you a competitive advantage. Understanding your customers better enables you to tailor your offerings and improve overall customer satisfaction.
1: Google Digital Marketing Snippets
Google Adwords has now become Google Ads – which highlights the breadth of advertising services now being provided
Google Hotel Ads is a new service aimed specifically at accommodation providers
Google are to offer a free website building service – note there may be strings attached
Google Trends is an interesting tool to get a flavour for when people are doing searches. Note for some queries you might find there is insufficient data but it can be a lot of fun to use
Black Friday or Boxing Day – from an eCommerce perspective don’t see them as separate events – sales are being dispersed
Smart shopping (AI) – works better where there are more conversions as its easier to learn
Shopping Ads now appearing in image search
Expanded XL Text Ads now in place
- moving from 1 headline and 1 description to
- 2 headlines and 2 descriptions
Lead Ads – these capture leads from a You Tube Ad
Multi stage forms – research has identified that if you can have multiple forms that only ask a few questions you have a greater chance of capturing data. Plus when correctly structured you will have captured the key data ( so can contact the person) and ask them the questions that they didn’t get to answer.
Live Chat – can this have an impact with how customers engage on your site. Note beware they can impact on site speed .
2: Digital Manufacturing And The Human Factor
Industry 4.0 is about the connections between machines, data and people.
This has seen the movement from fixed to cloud. From working with complete data to data sets or sampled data. Expert led design to consumer led design
Importantly within all these developments human factors still remain in the form of human capabilities and human limitations (these can be captured under the remit of ergonomics)
Considering The Ironies of Automation
Automatic control systems are put in place because they can do the job better than the operator; but the operator is being asked to monitor that it is working effectively. To address the irony need to recognise that people and technology form a joint cognitive system. Support the formation of an effective mental model of the process.
Computer makes decisions quickly therefore no way in which human operator can check in real time that the computer is following its rules correctly. Just because the operator cant keep up doesn’t mean that the system should be slowed down. To overcome this need clarity in the data representation and develop continued understanding into trace ability and accountability of the algorithm.
As part of the design process the designer tries to eliminate the operator, but still leaves the operator to do tasks which the designer cannot think how to automate. These may be where there are physical or mental activities that the human can perform more easily than through automation i.e. metal polishing. To this end it is vitally important to recognise skills, and artificial retention of manual processes for skills maintenance
Operator will only be able to generate successful new strategies for unusual situations if they have adequate knowledge of the process. Overcoming this can be completed through Teamwork and a systems approach to design.
Digital manufacturing can transform the way we produce, design and use goods.
3: Digital Marketing Snippet – Improve Your Email Copy
For those involved in B2B communications email provides a great mechanism for sending sales and content messages.
Even though it is common approach it is still used poorly by many companies.
Tip 1: Don’t preamble – get straight to the point
- Do it in the first paragraph
- Ask a question at an early stage or even within the subject
- Some like to apply the 5 sentences rule i.e. keep your email to just 5 sentences
Tip 1 checklist
- Have you included all the relevant information
- Is the information correct
- Does your opening sentence make it clear what the email is about
- How will it look on a mobile
Tip 2: Put (serious) work into the subject line
- How much of the subject line will get cut off (many systems will only show 41 to 50 characters)
- Therefore have the important content at the start of the sentence
Tip 2 checklist
- Have I thought enough
- Do the subject line maths
- Will the subject line get caught by the spam filters
- Would you click on the subject line
Tip 3: Decide What You Want People To Do
- The simple rule is One message / One action – don’t try and cram too much in
Tip 3 checklist
- Are the calls to action clear
- Is your language persuasive
- Is there a reason to click
- Are there too many reasons to delete
Tip 4: Test Test Test
- Never be your own proof reader
- Read it out aloud
- Test your links
Tip 4 checklist
- Do all the links work
- Are the alt tags correct
- Are there any typos
- Has someone else checked it
- Can we AB test the subject line
- Look at the opening results
- Compare it to competition emails
4: Digital Disruption – Is It Impacting On Your Business
Digital disruption and change are a constant threat and opportunity to business. Over time businesses have had to adapt to the Agricultural revolution, Industrial Revolution and now the Digital Revolution.
This change means that there are winners and losers. Just because you have a great product or service now doesn’t mean that you will have a product for the future
Think of the following scenario – in the past to complete difficult mathematical calculations you could use
- The abacus provided a great tool for early calculations, these were then superseded by log tables
- Log Tables – these were then superseded by The Slide Rule
- Alro, Arithma and Bundell Harling , being 3 of the brands being available (whatever happened to them?)
- Calculators – including early models from the Anita and Friden (whatever happened to them?) with early models costing £000’s
- The modern smartphone now encompasses all the functionality of a specialist calculator (this capability purely a by product of other core functionality
- Further developments being voice recognition whereby you don’t even need to write or type the question – you can simply ask the question and get an answer
5: Digital Disruption Is Quicker and More Disruptive
To see quantifiable representation of how disruptive the digital world is click here
Disruption is either going to happen to you or because of you – Brian Solis
Disruptive influences of the digital world
- Access not ownership
- Perpetual beta
- Soft skills
- Data value
- Location services
Examples of Digital Disruption
- Wal Mart car parks tracked by satellite to see how busy the stores are. This impacts on share price
- From 2006 to the current time we have reached the point where online sales now account for 20%
- Computers are developing soft skills whereby they can now rate the beauty of a picture
- With the recent storms in America Tesla was able to increase the range of its cars as a temporary software upgrade
Digital Disruption a key element of marketing
Digital Marketing Snippets, Ideas and Approaches
Digital technology has significantly transformed the marketing landscape for SME (Small and Medium-sized Enterprise) businesses.
- Enhanced Reach: Digital marketing allows SMEs to reach a global audience without geographical limitations. With online advertising, social media platforms, and search engine optimisation (SEO), SMEs can extend their reach beyond their local market and target specific demographics more effectively.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Traditional marketing methods like print ads and TV commercials can be costly for SMEs. Digital marketing provides cost-effective alternatives such as social media advertising, content marketing, and email campaigns. These methods often have a lower cost per lead or acquisition compared to traditional channels.
- Targeted Advertising: Digital marketing enables SMEs to precisely target their ideal audience. Through platforms like Google Ads and social media advertising, SMEs can define their target demographics based on factors like age, gender, location, interests, and online behaviour. This targeted approach helps optimise marketing budgets by reaching people who are more likely to be interested in their products or services.
- Data-Driven Insights: Digital marketing provides SMEs with valuable data and analytics to measure the effectiveness of their campaigns. SMEs can track metrics like website traffic, conversions, click-through rates, and engagement levels. This data allows businesses to make data-driven decisions, refine their marketing strategies, and optimize their campaigns for better results.
- Personalisation and Customer Engagement: Digital channels enable SMEs to personalise their marketing messages and engage with customers on a more individual level. Personalised email campaigns, social media interactions, and chatbots help create a more tailored and interactive experience, enhancing customer engagement and building stronger relationships.
- Online Reviews and Reputation Management: Online platforms and review websites have become crucial for consumers when making purchase decisions. SMEs can leverage digital marketing to encourage positive reviews, manage their online reputation, and address any negative feedback promptly. This transparency and responsiveness can build trust and credibility for the business.
- E-commerce and Online Sales: Digital marketing facilitates the establishment of online stores, allowing SMEs to expand their customer base and generate sales 24/7. Through e-commerce platforms, SMEs can showcase their products, provide detailed information, and offer a seamless purchasing experience to customers worldwide.
- Social Media Marketing: Social media platforms have become essential marketing channels for SMEs. They provide opportunities for brand awareness, customer engagement, and community building. SMEs can leverage platforms like Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter to share content, run targeted ads, and connect with their target audience directly.
Digital technology has revolutionised marketing for SMEs by offering wider reach, cost-effective strategies, targeted advertising, data-driven insights, personalised customer experiences, reputation management, e-commerce capabilities, and social media marketing opportunities. Embracing digital marketing allows SMEs to compete effectively in the modern business landscape and reach their growth objectives.
If you would like to know more about Digital Marketing Snippets or Website Design Issues contact Andrew Goode MBA, MSc, FCIM Click here to arrange a call
Other articles linked with marketing metrics that may provide additional insight. Marketing metrics and analytics, marketing ROI Planning , marketing revenue analytics and Marketing Measurement Metrics
Is Your website Losing You Sales
Find out if your website could generate you more business with our FREE website performance check
In This Check We Will
- Check your website for Technical issues and provide a Health Check
- We will evaluate 10 key search terms that you would like to get found for and see how you compare against your 2 main competitors
- Evaluate your site from usability and navigation perspective
- Identify if your site is suffering from any major website design bloopers