WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE WHAT YOU’LL GET
With winter fuel allowance you could get between one hundred pounds and three hundred tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before Fifth January 1952. This scheme is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’. In the majority of cases payments are made automatically between November and December.
This hopefully means that you should get your money before the Christmas festivities. You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (this does not typically include Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or Child Benefit). If you qualify but don’t get paid automatically, then you will need to make winter fuel allowance claim.
The amount of winter fuel allowance you will receive depends on your circumstances during the qualifying week. The qualifying week for winter 2013 to 2014 is sixteenth to twenty second September 2013.
- You qualify and live alone (or none of the people you live with qualify) two hundred pounds
- You qualify and get one of the benefits listed** two hundred pounds
- You live with someone under 80 who also qualifies one hundred pounds
- You live with someone 80 or over who also qualifies one hundred pounds
- You qualify and live with your partner or civil partner and they get one of the benefits listed** Nil*** Nil***
- You qualify but live in a care home and don’t get one of the benefits listed** one hundred pounds