Proposals Succeed or Fail
Some Proposal Winning Percentages
- 4% win more than ¾
- 77% win less than half of all bids
- 40% win between ¼ & a half
- 37% win less than ¼
What makes the difference? Where is the effort?
Note: The very effective are only good at 50% of factors
Super-bidders – Value and benefits customers expect
|Ruthlessly prioritise||Undisciplined and reactive|
|Proactive||Pursue too many opportunities|
|Set clear objectives||Mechanical ways of proposals|
|Got a strategy||No time to do things differently|
|Allocate resources front loaded||Lots of proposals|
|Focus on the buyers – what value / benefit||Work in isolation|
|First stages of a business relationship||Minimum to get out of door|
|Learn from experience|
How can the proposal be easier to progress
|Focus on hitting deadline|
|Want to win (Winners Win)||Selling what got|
|Keep on revisiting|
|Has prospects will be big tomorrow||Important today|
|Open willing||Leave account to a specific person|
|Focus on external customer||Copy what others do|
|Work out what things do we need to do to keep long term||Full of generalisations|
|Talk about things there doing for their customers||Say we need to build long term relationships|
|Differentiation||Keep things to self|
|Be specific||Heavily into ‘selling’|
|Understand what is driving customers business|
- Focus on getting people to understand and help to buy
- Help them to get what they need
- Help in partnering
- Partnering is win, win (why would you hide things , keep it open)
- Agree the mutual objectives
- Identify problems and get them into the open
- I want to work with you
Unique, Special and Different
- What is unique and special about your organisation? What would the world have lost – what are the differentiators?
- If you don’t have the expertise, find someone who does & get them on board.
- Most people turn up most days to do things that are rejected.
- Developing a compelling reason to change
- Getting people to understand
- Are you a superstar?
- If not what are you going to do differently?
- What makes the difference?
What Do Superstar Businesses Do Differently With Proposals
For more business development articles click here. To talk to a marketing and sales professional who can guide you onto the next level of growth click here