Today’s Manufacturing Challenges
- Those experiencing growth need to double / increase productivity .
- One of the best ways to achieve this will be through smart connected factories
- How do we reduce lead time and waste
- A connected supply chain can help here
- Halve the time to market ( if not achieve even faster times that this ( I have some major manufacturing companies present on the need to reduce from 100 weeks ( 2 years) to 300 days ) by exploiting data and digital twin
- Deliver customisation by enabling flexible operations
- Double labour productivity through integrated intelligent automation
- Creating increase value through disruptive new business models
The need for manufacturers to do things differently
Developing disruptive technologies
- Moving from castings to additive process
- Reduce drilling / holes for using fasteners to using adhesives
- From zero / low robotics to large scale robotic assembly
- Creating intelligent flexible workstations with AI
The Supply Chain Challenge
- Cloud based storage
- Digital Asset Tracking
- Digital Trust
- Reduced time to market
- Predictive analysis
- New regulations
The 9 components of Industry 4.0
The foundations of Supply Chain 4.0 ( Some say that the points below are all aligning.
- System integration
- Big data and analysis
- Simulation and virtualisation
- Internet of things (IOT)
- The cloud
- Autonomous systems
- Augmented reality
- Additive manufacturing
Volatility – The need for change
The world is becoming more volatile
If we look at surviving a VUCA World – Volatility , Uncertainty, Complexity, Ambiguity and look at the volatility index plotted from 1970 to current Source: Datastream E14 (for crude oil data) Chicago Board Options Exchange
We can see that the world is becoming more volatile and the approaches / stuff we did in the 80’s , 90, 2000,s is no longer relevant.
- Not enough people can walk the shop floor and identify where “disruptive” approaches could provide benefits.
- Like marketing supply chain is not seen as a skilled discipline
- Like marketing supply chain needs to be in the boardroom
- Owners / managers need to understand that leadership is critical Collaborative / shared leadership depends on real experience
- Cost to serve is a crucial skill that shouldn’t be left to the accountants
- We haven’t invested in capital equipment (just used more people) and this will ultimately cause issues in Food Production sector where with labour shortages we need more automation
FREE Website Performance Check
- Speed plays an important part in website performance how well does yours perform on desktop and mobile?
- Is your site mobile responsive if not how many customers are you losing?
- Is your site HTTPS?
- With GDPR in place is your site legally compliant?
- Find out about loads more website performance issues