Definition of Innovation – daring to be different
- There is nothing inherent or unique about people who can innovate.
- The art of puzzling things through learning the first principles:
|It’s not that complicated||This doesn’t make sense|
|Create a place employees like||I disagree|
|Ideas are commercially viable||Unflinching in taking decisions|
|At a gut level usually know|
|You know right now where you are weak|
|Don’t need an MBA to have common sense|
Things you could do
- Don’t have a management away day
- Make sure you are clear about what is required to make you successful in your business – how are we going to monitor this?
Initial Common sense for an airline
- Efficiency = low cost
- Low cost = full plane
- Full plane = efficient to the business
- But just being low cost is not enough.
What are the key parameters in your business?
For an airline:
- Employee satisfaction
- Customer satisfaction
So how tightly are you screwing efficiency in your business?
- Do you understand the unit costs (i.e. seat flown per Km)
- From a sales and marketing perspective got to focus us on profitability
- How do we ensure cost of sale doesn’t go up?
- Need to share the measures & understand the key drivers making sure that employees / people know what’s happening
- Spend more time with your customers
- Some will be at the wrong end of the spectrum
- Some will be un-viable
- Some will be fantastic
- Thank your customers
What about the people who aren’t your customers?
- Ask them why don’t you use us?
- Ask the staff – what do you think we should focus on?
Innovation Daring To Be Different
For more information on marketing, sales and innovation click here. To talk to a sales and marketing professional click here